I don’t work in the NHS or Adult Social Care

If you don't work in the NHS or Adult Social Care, but have concerns that you want to raise, please use the information on this page to find out which service and organisations can help you.

Patient Concerns

Patient Advice and Liaison Service
The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers.

Visit website

Healthwatch England
An independent national champion for people who use health and social care services. We’re here to make sure that those running services, and the government, put people at the heart of care.

Visit website

Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (England)
They make final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England. A Patient will have to follow the complaints procedure within the organisation where the concern occurred before contacting PHOS.

Visit website

Info on what to do if you disagree with their decision is on this page.

Other Advice

Offer advice on employment law and rights. They help with employment relations and can help to solve problems by working with employer and employees.

Phone: 0300 123 1100, available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm.

Visit website

Health and Safety Executive
If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it to HSE.

Phone: 0300 003 1647

Visit website Complete the online form

Information Commissioner's Office
For breaches of data protection.

Phone: 0303 123 1113

Visit website 

National Bullying Helpline
Anti-bullying organisation providing operational support for the public whether the conflict is in the home, the community, the playground or the workplace.

Phone: 0845 22 33 787

Visit website 

Matters relating to regulation and inspection of children’s social care in England.

Phone: 0300 123 3155

Scottish NHS Action Hotline
For callers who want to raise a concern about the NHS in Scotland

Phone: 0800 008 6112

The Law Society
To help find a solicitor check their website, it offers a list of solicitors qualified in the field of employment law in your area.

Visit website

Law Centres
Find out if a law centre can provide assistance if you can't afford a solicitor

Visit website 

Civil Legal Advice
You may be able to access legal Aid if you're on a low income.

Visit website